Today’s Daily Prompt is commit. I think most would agree that “to commit” will involve an agreement to submit your time and/or treasure while sacrificing a bit of yourself mentally, physically, and/or spiritually – sometimes all of the above.
Marriage is one of those “all of the above” categories. If you are not willing to commit everything, then skip it. Seriously, just wait until you are ready.
- Your time will not be your own. You can have some “free” time, but what you do with it does affect your other-half.
- Your treasures will co-mingle with those of your spouses. When sharing space, it is inevitable.
- Your expectations will not be met. Perfect match? Sure. Perfect fit? Sure. Perfect people? Nope.
- You give yourself…in a biblical sense. Expectations play a big role in this one, too.
- And in my experience, when God is in it, it’s so much better. We spent the first years of our marriage on our own path and we did okay. Once we lined up with God’s, that okay changed to fantastic. (Again, we are not perfect, but we still agree on the big stuff.)
Parenting is another “all of the above” categories. You can start today. All is not lost. 😉
- Again, “free” time is okay and healthy, but it will affect your children. Seriously, do you really need an expert to tell you that quality time with your kid is essential to their development?
- They become your greatest treasure. If you’re not ready to commit your heart to mini versions of you, then don’t make one.
- Throw your expectations out and love on your kiddo.
- This is one of the most physically demanding jobs I know. If you’re not ready to be on-call 24/7, then please don’t reproduce.
- They are a gift…even when they wipe their bedroom walls with a dirty diaper, carve “f— mom” into their bed post, poop all over your shirt, or take your bed with them when they move into their own room.
Okay, I think I’ll end with that, but I think you get my point. To commit is to agree to submit your time and/or treasure while sacrificing a bit of yourself mentally, physically, and/or spiritually – sometimes all of the above. If you’re not willing to do some or all of that, then just don’t…commit.